Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sunsets Galore!

Day Eleven -- Sunset

Isn't it absolutely amazing how beautiful sunrises and sunsets truly can be? Most often, I do not see the sun rise as I am either usually getting dressed for work or asleep, but I do try to catch the sun setting as often as I can. Unlike my Dad, who loves catching both sunrises and sunsets on camera (and he does a splendid job of it, as well), I don't often capture as many as he does nor at the quality he can see them in. The sunsets pictured here are taken in a variety of places and they are all different. From left to right, here is the sunset location and mini-background info:



Mystic Seaport Lighthouse, Mystic, Connecticut -- We had free passes from Coca~Cola to tour the Mystic Seaport and we stayed nearly all day long. As we went back in the evening, I took a quick snap of the sun peering over on the right behind the lighthouse.

Great Smoky Mountains, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee -- Ahh, I just love this picture or maybe it's just because of how much I love the Smokies. But, I happened to be riding down the street and glanced up at beautiful Mount LeConte and there is an amazing sun setting high above the peaks of the Smoky Mountains. What a majestic looking sight!

Meredith's Backyard, Raleigh, North Carolina -- Honestly, I am not 100% certain of the location of this photo, but I do believe it was at home. I just looked up and thought it looked angelic ... almost like Heaven had opened its doors and wanted to speak to us. Just serene!

Flying High over Texas, Just outside of Austin, Texas -- I flew out to see my cousin in Austin, Texas, on a late afternoon flight. I had never been to Texas to realize just how FLAT everything is! But as we were approaching Austin to land, I looked out the window and caught the sun setting along the horizon. It was absolutely breath-taking. There is something to be said about seeing the sun set from above and it was unbelieveable!

Barefoot Landing Harbor, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina -- Mom and I had been walking in the shops at Barefoot Landing when Dad decided to drift back to the Harbor where many of the large boats and yachts will dock to come to shop and stay over at Barefoot Resort. We happened to walk back just in time to catch the sun setting just over the Intracoastal Waterway. Splendid!

Sunset at Sunset Beach, North Carolina -- How appropriate or maybe how ironic to capture one of my most favorite sunset photos at a places known as Sunset Beach?!? Maybe that is why it received the name Sunset Beach because the sun setting makes it appear as if it sinking down into the heart of the Atlantic Ocean, which is where we usually see it rise up from. Either way, what a pleasant photo!

Mystic River, Mystic, Connecticut -- So, I tried to portray a variety of sunsets in different locations, but Connecticut is awarded with two sunset photos. The town of Mystic is built right along the banks of the Mystic River, and I absolutely fell in love with this place. It is so calm and scenic. I just love listening to the hum of the boats in the river heading out toward the Long Island Sound and soon the great Atlantic. I loved the sounds from the old shipyard as they were working to restore and repair giant Tall Ships. The hustle and bustled along the riverwalk heading toward the tourist section of town. Aside from the cold, snowy winters of Connecticut, this is a place I could easily move. And, of course, they have amazing sunsets. I loved this one. The sun setting over the Mystic River with the reflection bouncing off the river's waters

No comments:

Post a Comment