Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"Flashback" to 1932 & 1936


As most of you have seen, I have been doing a series on basketball and the coaches and their attire during the game. Of course, we all know that my love for basketball abounds. I've always ponderd why I really adored basketball so much, and if you happened to miss my prior blog about "Why Basketball Matters" (http://mescarlett414.blogspot.com/2013/02/why-basketball-matters.html), I tried to explain why I felt basketball had made a difference in my life. But even with that, where did my passion come from? Sure, a deep admiration for Coach Kay Yow, but prior to that, as with other things, I believe it was in my blood.

Day Seven -- Flashback



Basketball runs in my family. My Mom's brothers played basketball. But, even long before that, my Grandmother, Louise Sorrell (Foster) and her sister, my Great Aunt, Maydelle Sorrell (Williams) both played basketball on their girls high school team at Garner. My, oh my, how basketball has changed over the years. Who ever would have thought that there was a high school girl's basketball team back in the early to mid 1930s!!! That's almost unrealistic to think about. My Granny always wanted me to play basketball, but as you know from my previous blog entry, I was unable to play due to a shoulder surgery. But even then, their passion lived on throughout me. I only wish now that I could have more time to ask them about them playing. I know how my tough my Maydelle was -- to look at her, she as very stylish but she didn't take any junk from you. You make her mad, and you better run because you didn't push her around. And to think about her and Granny playing, wow, I wish we had video of those good 'ole days. But I will cherish these photos that I have found because that just inspires me to continue to support basketball and keep Maydelle & Louise's dream alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment