Thursday, May 16, 2013

Memories that last a lifetime...

In one way or another, our lives are full of memories. It could be something simple as cherished items we received for our birthdays or maybe something given to us by our ancestors. Those memories we hold near and dear to our hearts, and often times those memories will last a lifetime. Sure, there are good memories and sadly there are bad memories. And try as you might, it's hard to shake the bad ones. But, we have to get to a point in our life where we just move forward and let the good memories wash over ourselves and replace those bad memories. When I realized the photo for Day Fourteen was to be about a "Memory", I became a little conflicted. I have so many amazing memories and could not pick just one to display, nor could I really decide what I wanted to focus on -- did I want to use my memories of game day at Tennessee (football and basketball), basketball games overall, gifts I had recieved, etc. I ended up just going through my phone and capturing a few of my favorite moments that I have had meeting with a variety of people. Below is some information about each person and my encounter! Make your memories last a lifetime!

Day 14 -- Memory



Governor Beverly Perdue, Raleigh, North Carolina (2011) -- For me, 2011 was NOT a good year. I tragically lost my job and that is a memory that still carries a bitter taste in my mouth. But, on the contrary, when I look back at 2011, I also think of two extreme highlights in my life -- meeting Governor Beverly Perdue TWICE! Ever since I was a little girl, I adored Bev Perdue. Many of you hate her and guess what, I don't care. No, I didn't agree with all her political stances, but I viewed her as a female who did not let the word "no" deter her from accomplishing goals in her life. I had always wanted to meet her, yet I never could figure out how to get to see her one-on-one. Until she and her staffer literally walked right in to me in downtown Raleigh while at the Naismith Awards. I was immediately encaptured by her beautiful, sparkling blue eyes. What an amazing moment! She was gracious enough to not only have her photo made with us, but also spend a little time talking about fashion. My favorite part was when she commented on how she liked my 'fascinator' to which she followed up by telling me, genuinely, that I looked "fascinating." To say I was on a cloud the rest of that evening was an understatement. I later met her again in December at the Governor's Mansion. What a fun year! Dreams and wishes do come true -- never give up, they will turn into memories that you cherish and hold dear.

Tony Tata, Garner, North Carolina (2013) -- Meeting Tony Tata was a great highlight for November 2013. I might have turned 30 that month, but it was not all that bad. I had read all three of Tony's military thrillers and had asked him if I could get them signed. He graciously met up with me and signed all three books, as well as had a photo made. What an awesome guy he is. He served our country proudly in the U.S. Army for many years before working in the DC Public Schools, as well as here in Wake County. Sadly, we witnessed a horrible decision when he was forced to leave Wake County, but thankfully, he is still able to serve our state now as the Secretary of Transportation. Such an honorable man! And you definitely need to read his books -- they are incredible!

Rhonda Vincent, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (2012) -- When it comes to Bluegrass music, no one does it better than Rhonda Vincent. Growing up, I was not an avid fan of Bluegrass. My Dad loved torturing me on long road trips by playing it non-stop, and then Heaven forbid when we got to Tennessee, we had to go to the gazebo each night for Blugrass shows. Over the years, I grew up and my mindset towards Blugrass music began to mellow. While we were at Dollywood last June for Barbecue & Bluegrass Festival, we saw Rhonda Vincent in concert three times. She was incredible. Maybe it was her wearing Tennessee Volunteer Orange and her splendid rendition of "Rocky Top" that changed my opinion, but I immediately became a fan. One thing that I noticed about Rhonda is how humble and down-to-earth she is. She always makes time to meet with her fans after concerts. That to me speaks volumes. In 2012, we saw her in concert more than five times, and have already seen her perform in 2013, as well. She is definitely one that you should go see in concert and follow on Twitter and Facebook. I love Rhonda!

Chris Dailey, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina (2012) -- Well, 2012 was obviously the good year for making lots of good memories. When you get wind that UConn is coming to town to play someone, you go! It doesn't matter who they are playing, it's UConn and that's a big name in women's basketball. We got tickets from Duke for the game. I had NO idea that my seats would literally be at the end of the UConn team bench. I sat right beside their Gatorade coolers. I had a bird's eye view of the team bench, the team huddles during time-outs. I was practically in Heaven. Yet, I looked like a fool with my Duke gear on. Seriously, what was I thinking -- Duke didn't stand a chance at beating UConn, but yet I wore Duke blue. Wow, how times have changed. A few years ago, I would've probably sat there wearing Tennessee orange because my sheer hatred for UConn and Geno Auriemma was so immense. But one person helped to change all that, and that one person I was fortunate enough to meet after the game -- UConn Associate Head Coach, Chris Dailey. Though my hatred for UConn was intense, I had always admired Chris Dailey from afar. She was the epitome of fashion -- absolute perfect in every sense. She has been loyal and faithful to the same program for almost 30 years, even turning down opportunities to be a Head Coach herself. In my opinion, she IS the glue that holds UConn together, yet she often remains in the shadows of Geno Auriemma, even though she does tower about three inches over him! Not many people intimidate me, but for whatever reason, Chris did. Little did I know, that in 2013, I would receive a handwritten note from Chris in the mail; and less than a month later, she was in my hometown, where I ended up spending around 15 minutes one-on-one with her talking basketball, fashion and beyond. She is a very genuine person, very humble and caring. She is a role model for many young women. I am thankful for the time she spent with me, it was a highlight of my life! Next time, I will get a better picture and I will NOT be wearing Duke!

Kim Mulkey, University of Texas, Austin, Texas (2012) -- A week before I met Chris Dailey at Duke, I was out in Austin, Texas, visiting my cousin Amanda. We went to the Texas vs. Baylor women's game. Lo and behold, I was able to meet Kim Mulkey (Head Coach from Baylor University) after the game. She remembered who I was from an e-mail I had sent her regarding her book she had written. It was such an incredible experience to be down on the court with an individual who has won the NCAA Championship as a player, assistant coach and head coach. She is very funny, as well. We joked about how unlike Louisiana and North Carolina, Texas was flat and had no trees! I was so proud when Baylor went on to win the 2012 NCAA National Championship and win it by setting a record of going 40-0!

Nora Lynn Finch, Raleigh, North Carolina (2009) -- Saving the best for last ... that would be Nora Lynn Finch, one of my heroes since I was a child. She has been featured/mentioned in many of my blogs. But the first time I ever truly talked to Nora Lynn was in 2009 at the NCAA Super Regionals hosted at the PNC Arena in Raleigh. I was floored at how kind she was and how much she genuinely cared about people. She climbed OVER the hockey wall to come up into the stands to speak to me and ask me about myself. I was just overwhelmed. Over the past few years, we have gotten to know each other better, and I can honestly tell you, had you told me when I was a little girl that one of my heroes would know me by name and speak to me/call out to me by name at a game, I would have just laughed. But it's the truth, each time I see her, she waves and speaks and says hello to me personally, and often greets you with a warm hug. While she may no longer be working at NC State and even though her title of "Associate Commissioner" of the ACC would leave you to believe she is this high-minded individual, she is quite the opposite. She is a very busy individual who is devoted to her job 100%, yet she still has a heart that cares for others and she does what she can to help them in any way. We need more people in America like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment