Thursday, December 3, 2015

Day Four -- Write about someone who inspires you.

Mercy me!  I did this 30 day writing challenge opposed to doing a 30 day photo challenge on Instagram, and now I’m having second thoughts on whether I should’ve stuck with the photo challenge as these writing challenges are actually quite tough! 

An inspiring person – oh goodness!  Where do I even begin?  There are so, so many people that I could write about who have inspired me in so many various ways.  So, it is going to be near impossible to try to narrow that down to just one person, as I certainly don’t want to leave anyone out or make anyone have hurt feelings that they didn’t get included.   But, I did some pondering on this overnight and have decided on who I wanted to write this post in dedication to – my Grandma. 

My Grandma, Blannie Baker, was one of the most humble and caring people that God has ever placed on this planet, and I don’t say that just because she was my grandmother!   She was born in rural Harnett County, North Carolina, in the early 1920s.  Her family was not wealthy at all, and to some degree by tracing her ancestry, you might even say that her family tree was very mixed up!   She didn’t obtain much of an education (maybe the 8th grade is a far as she went), but she was one of the smartest women that I ever knew.  There was not much that she could not do. 

She married my Grandpa, Charlie W. Baker, at a very young age, and together they had six children – five boys and one girl, my Mom.   My Grandma had a lot of responsibilities placed upon her.  She had to care for and feed her six children amidst working in the tobacco fields and countless other tasks around the farms which the family relocated to and from quite frequently along with keeping her house in tip-top shape.  But through it all, she always remained calm and dedicated to her family never waving in any tasks that were placed in her path. 

There was not much my Grandma could not do.  She was an amazing cook, she always kept her house very clean, she made quilts for each of her family members, she always sacrificed what little income she had to make sure each of her children, in-laws and grandchildren were given birthday and Christmas presents from her.  She was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.  She loved having all of her family get together for various holidays or just anytime they wanted to come over, she always welcomed them with open arms.  Grandma may not have had much education, but she taught my Grandpa how to read and she had more book-sense than some of the smartest people out there today.  She loved going to church and was so faithful in her relationship with the Lord. 

As the years went by and as the family continued to grow, Grandma was always the glue that held us all together.  When we all would get together for a holiday, it sometimes felt the house might bust its seams as there were so many of us.  Grandma would often be sitting in her recliner just quietly twiddling her thumbs but she was always smiling.  She was so content.  The grandchildren might have been destroying the house or making tons of noise, but she always sat there so patiently and never complained.  She was not a woman of many words, as she was a very quiet, behind-the-scenes type.  But her humble and caring spirit touched many lives.

In the late 1990s, Grandma started to get sick.  She had been sick off and on her entire life, and suffered constant battles with pneumonia or some type of respiratory sickness.  Many trips to doctors revealed that her kidneys were not in good shape (very similar to her own mothers).  She ended up going on dialysis and was in and out of the hospital repeatedly.  Throughout all of her journeys and constant trips to the hospital with prolonged stays in ICU and then in the rehabilitation centers, all to do a cycle and repeat these same steps, she never complained nor really got upset.  She always seemed to be at a completely peace. 

I remember several times visiting her in the hospital when they kept misdiagnosing her with so many diseases.  One time they wanted us to put on a full gown, mask, gloves, etc. because they thought she had tuberculosis.  I didn’t believe it.  There was no way she had that, so I refused to wear the required “attire” to enter her hospital room.  Plus, I didn’t think it was fair that she had to see her family all “protected” to visit her.  While I’ll never know if she even noticed that, I felt good inside that I wasn’t afraid of whatever disease she may or may not have had.  She was my Grandma and I would love her even if I caught the same thing!  Sadly, my Grandma ended up passing away during one of her extended hospital stays.  They ended up discovering that rather than having tuberculosis or pneumonia, she likely had cancer in her kidneys and lungs.  What a devastating blow to the entire family!  

I was a senior in high school when my Grandma passed away.  I ended up losing both of my grandmothers during my senior year in high school.  It was definitely a tough thing to endure at such a young age.  However, even as a teenager, my Grandma’s life greatly touched me.  I wish many times I had been able to spend more time with her or have her here still with me today.  She inspired me that no matter how much pain she was in, no matter how sick she was or how bad she felt, she never complained.  She kept going.  She kept God first and then her family.  She loved and cared for everyone.  Ironically, the day she passed, while she was in a comatose state, it seemed she waited until each family member had come and visited her, and once the last one arrived, she made her exit to her eternal home where she is no longer suffering. 


Her life inspired me that I need to watch my complaining.  Yes, it’s something we all do and will do, it is nature, but I need to keep a check on it.  I need to try to be more humble and caring.  I need to be less selfish and focus more on others. I obviously will never be able to cook like her, but there are many of her ways that I need to implement in my own life.  What a legacy my Grandma left for her entire family!  A legacy that will be hard to ever match.  I miss her daily, but am so glad that I know that I have the opportunity to see her again in Glory!   I love you, Grandma!


No comments:

Post a Comment