Monday, February 8, 2016

Day Sixteen: Something that you miss.


In a day in time when things are constantly being pulled from our grasp, it is very easy for us to come to the realization that there are a multitude of things that we miss in our lifespan.  It is often difficult to pinpoint one thing or one person that we miss the most because that might make it seem that that one particular person or item was more important to you than other things, and that may not necessarily be accurate.  I even believe that at certain times of the year, we might miss an individual or an item more than at other times throughout the year.  Those memories could be associated with a date or time (ie: the passing of a loved one or some tragedy that unfolded on such date).  With that being said, for this entry, I’ve decided not to write on a person that I miss because I terribly miss many of my grandparents and other individuals who have passed away in my life that all equally meant something special to me.  Instead, I’m going to write about something a little different – the “good ‘ole days”.  Sure, my view of the “good ‘ole days” is going to highly differ from the perspective view of say my parents, but nonetheless, I can guarantee you there are things from times past that we all miss to an extent.

Back in the day, I used to be able to sit out on the front porch on my great-grandmother’s house in the evenings for hours counting the cars on the US Highway with my Dad.  We would often play a game of which way is the next “red” car (or whatever color of choice) would be coming from and going. Sometimes, we would sit half an hour or longer waiting for a car to come by, and during those moments of waiting for cars, you could hear the peaceful calm of the crickets, the peaceful sounds of a summer evening.  Sadly, those days are long gone in suburban Raleigh, North Carolina.  There are so many cars that go past that front porch now on a minute-by-minute basis, your head nearly spins trying to see them all.  I miss moments like that of sitting in the summer breeze with my family members and enjoying the solitude that is no longer present in Wake County.  Rural Wake County has faded in to the historical limelight being overrun with subdivisions, Sheetz gas stations and so many other countless strip malls that dot the million population in this one county.  Those are memories and days that I miss the most. 

I also miss the simplicity of childhood.  I never did like school.  I did fine in school with my grades, etc., but I just never liked going to school.  I would have preferred to stay home driving my Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars in my pretend village in the yard, or I would have preferred to climb to the top of the Southern Magnolia tree and just sit there contemplating life.  Sure, I could still drive my cars in the yard (though that would be a sight at 33 years old!) and I could attempt to climb the ever faithful Magnolia (though the limbs would probably crack under my weight), but those moments are ones that you miss and don’t want to forget.  Childhood is something we often take for granted.  Being able to be free and play and do the things you enjoy the most.  The countless hours I spent driving my Power Wheels Jeep all throughout our yard and my neighbors’ yards.  I miss walking from my house to my Granny’s to my Great-Grandma’s homes with my faithful sidekick Marlowe following my every step.  Those days of simplicity are long gone.  I may still live in the same house, but those residents in the other houses are no longer with us, nor is my sidekick Marlowe.  All have gone on to better homes in eternity. 

While, we all can think of one thing or person that we miss, cherish those memories that you made with that person or at that vacation spot or whatever the item is.  Memories stay with us a lifetime, so cherish those memories and hold tight to them.  While we can’t get the past back, try not to dwell in those missed moments and opportunities too much.  Don’t let those moments bring you down.  Learn from them, grow from them and let them transform you in to a better person.  Share your memories with those you love and allow them to keep the flame going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment