Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A is for ...

AMISH



Don’t you find the culture of the Amish people intriguing? I know I certainly do. I have been to Amish Country in Pennsylvania on several occasions and no matter when I go, I am more and more intrigued by their lifestyle. They are absolutely devoted and dedicated to their traditions, and that, above all else, speaks volumes to their character. It’s a shame that more of us can’t adhere and uphold the traditions that we claim to hold near and dear to our hearts, as well.

When I first heard of the Amish culture, not only was I intrigued, but I was also a bit apprehensive. At first glance, they can appear almost dark and stand-offish, and many of them solely want to maintain their privacy. But after going on the farms of several Amish families, I have found that while they may be a tad bit distant from the traditional day Americans, they are very nice and caring individuals. Just like us with things we do in our daily lives, they also take great pride in their handmade products and things that they do within their communities.

Another thing that I enjoy about Amish Country is the calm and peace you feel in the atmosphere that surrounds the area. You don’t have the noise and hustle and bustle as you do with the city life. There is no traffic congestion, unless you get behind a procession of buggies. The air is clear and fresh, even with the ever abundant smell of cow “freshness” –which, to me, smells a lot better than the carbon fumes coming from the car in front of me in the traffic line. Amish Country is good for your soul and spirit! For a brief moment, it allows you to let your mind wander and imagine what it would be like to live a day or so in their shoes. I think I would love to ride around on a horse and buggy for a few days, but after that, I would need my electricity, my make-up, my regular lifestyle, but who knows, maybe a complete change would do the body some good! The Amish are well adapted to their culture and why should we infringe upon that?

One of my favorite memories from Amish Country came when my Mom and I returned from a church bus trip there. We were telling my Dad all the stories that we had heard and of the places we went and what we saw. During that trip, one of the funniest things I saw was a horse and buggy sitting in the drive thru window of the bank – that was just not a sight I imagined seeing. Dad acted interested but at the same time, he seemed suspicious. I don’t think he really believed that people actually rode around in horse and buggies in the towns. A few years after that trip, in August 2008, we had to take a trek to New York for a cousin’s wedding. So, I decided it would be an opportune time to take Dad to Amish Country and let him see firsthand what we had been talking about. We stayed in Hershey and commuted the short distance over to Lancaster and the surrounding towns. Our first stop was at the Kitchen Kettle Village and the town of Intercourse. Mom and I were shopping in the stores and walking down the street when the next thing we know, Dad is trotting down the sidewalk in aghast – he had SEEN a buggy. Not only had he SEEN the buggy, he decided to PURSUE the buggy to try to document that on camera. It was a funny sight, but at least now, he believes!

I highly recommend that everyone should take the trek up to Lancaster and take in the natural scenic beauty that is before you. The landscape of the rolling hills, the endless rows of corn, the skyline of silos and windmills, the voluminous count of our favorite dairy cows – it often makes you ponder whether you are really in America, as you think could this natural beauty and calmness still exist in such a hectic and modern day world? The answer is yes! So, take time to stop and go for an adventure to Amish Country. Make sure you get some homemade grape jelly from an Amish family, see a production at Sight and Sound Theaters, eat at a smorgasbord restaurant and just take a deep breath and inhale the freshness, even from the cows!


No comments:

Post a Comment