Tuesday, July 8, 2014

X is for ...

X-FACTOR

Well, seriously, just how many words that start with the letter “X” can I find to write a blog on that I actually have pictures of? So, yes, this might be a stretch, but we are going to roll with X-Factor because that is the best (and the only thing) I’ve got thus far!

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about when I say “X-Factor”, let me give you a quick refresher … Simon Cowell, ahhhhh!, who helped start American Idol, also came up with another singing reality show that did not have the restrictions that American Idol often placed on their contestants. He debuted this show in the UK where it became an instant hit and produced several key artists, including Leona Lewis. The premise behind the whole show as finding the “it” factor that the contestants needed; also known as the “x” factor – something the judges knew to look for and try to bring out of the contestants in hopes of making an unknown individual into a big name superstar worldwide. Contestants could be any age, from youngsters on up; and they could also be groups; plus they were all mentored by one of the judges. It brought a lot more variety to what American Idol lacked.

Eventually, Simon decided to take the X-Factor on the road and bring it across the pond from the UK to the USA. The X-Factor (UK) featured a panel of dominant judges including: Simon Cowell, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh, with an occasional other addition. Those three together would make audiences laugh and could dust the dirt off some of these unknown artists and see the jewel lying beneath. I personally had hoped he would even bring the same judges from the UK show over to America. I mean seriously who would NOT want to see Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne go all crazy at each other? (Rawr!!) Unfortunately for me, I did not get my wish and there would be no Simon and Sharon USA showdown (bummer!)

The X-Factor is similar with American Idol in that it does go on the road and hold auditions throughout the country. But one key difference between the two shows it that the X-Factor auditions are done not only in front of the judges’ panel but also in front of a live studio audience, who almost act as a fifth judge! My friend Allison and I learned that auditions were coming to Greensboro, North Carolina, so we got tickets to go to the auditions as members of the audience. I was stoked because yes, that meant, I was going to get to see Simon Cowell, since he would remain on the judging panel albeit without Sharon by his side (sniff, sniff!)

So, off we head merely 80 miles west on I-40 to the metropolis of Greensboro and what seems to be my second home of the Greensboro Coliseum (I seriously think my car could drive itself there as many times as it has been there in the past three or four years!). The lines to get in where almost like a zoo – lines for those auditioning (obviously NOT me!), lines for fans in the audience, lines for family members. It was quite chaotic, but we figured it out and made our way inside for the first taping of the Greensboro auditions. It is quite interesting to see all the behind-the-scenes production work that goes in to putting one of these shows together. But what absolutely amazed me was the sheer size of the massive stage that these contestants had to walk out on. If they in the least bit had any stage fright, they would be doomed immediately with this immaculate set-up. Our seats were not down on the floor close to the judges’ panel, but we still had a good view and as long as I could see Simon, I really could care less!

We knew in advance who the judges were going to be and I was severely depressed by the selection – L.A. Reid, Demi Lovato, Simon Cowell and the one they tried making the queen superstar, Britney Spears. I have never been a huge Britney fan so to have to sit and endure her was going to be a challenge for me, especially when all I could think of was “why not Sharon? Sharon would be the best!” Nonetheless, it was fairly entertaining to see some of the performances. We had a mixture of ages, singles and groups that performed. A few really stood out and eventually did make it past the first round, but in honesty, I don’t ever recall seeing any one from Greensboro actually make it further in the program. It makes you wonder what happened to all these people who I thought really could sing much better than some that actually made it on to the TV show.

Overall, the X-Factor experience was pretty cool. I was able to say I have been in the same room with Simon Cowell now and all his glory!! Sadly, the X-Factor was not as big of a hit in the USA as it was in the UK (well, hello, the reason is obvious – Simon, Sharon and Louis!). But, it was something we can now say we have been a part of. It does make you wonder though what the true “X” is that they are searching for in the contestants because I still have yet to see it those who auditioned, much less actually won the show!

And for what it’s worth, this is why the X-Factor (UK) was so much better than the USA – no holds bar! Go Sharon, Go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment