Monday, March 22, 2010

Tickle the Ivory



So yesterday, I re-visited my past and got back to playing the piano in church.

I started taking lessons when I was in the 3rd Grade from a wonderfully talented teacher, Mrs. Ellen Scott. She taught me well and I stuck with her until midway thru high school. She wanted me to do a lot of competitions, whereas, I just wanted to play in church and for fun. I eventually switched to another teacher and stuck with her halfway thru college, where I eventually had to quit taking lessons because balancing work, college and piano was beginning to take a toll.

I had played off and on in church for many years -- playing offertory, prelude, accompanying for kids groups, even some mixed ensembles and even the chorus at my high school. I eventually switched churches (long story) and my Mom would always hound me about "you'll forget how to play" (since I had quit practicing & playing). I kept reminding her that it is like reading another language and you really can't just "forget it"

January 24, 2010, I got baptized (that is a whole post in itself - maybe I'll post that soon) and joined Calvary Baptist Church (yay!) My friend Tiffany approached me a few weeks ago and asked if I'd accompany her as she had to sing a solo. I hesitated at first but agreed -- that was probably before I realized she would have to sing in the MORNING service. But I agreed. Picking out a song chose to be a treat -- we went thru a variety of books and selections and narrowed it down to two, finally settling on one of my personal favorites "God Makes No Mistakes."

Yesterday, March 21, 2010, was the day we performed. We tried to only let a few people know I was going to play (and I hope we were able to surprise a few people!) and all-in-all, I think it went really well. Was I nervous? A little bit yes ... my leg always shakes, especially when I wear heels. I was more nervous about coughing or something (thanks to being sick) rather than messing up the song. Needless to say, I so honored and surprised by the comments I received afterwards. It really made me feel special and really made me realize that God has given me a talent that I need to use more.

I am truly honored that Tiffany asked me to play for her. She could have easily chosen our AMAZING church pianist, Trudy Hays, or her other close friend, Donna. But she chose me to play for her, and that meant a lot to me.

Speaking of the song she sang ("God Makes No Mistakes"), you know God really doesn't make any mistakes. Don't we wish that were true for us? I'm so grateful for everyone He has placed into my life ... each one has been brought in for their own purpose and NONE are mistakes. Let's honor Him in whatever we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment