Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gotta get my Mulkey on...


So, you may have been seeing me post the saying "gotta get my Mulkey on" quite often lately and more than likely, you're probably thinking just what exactly does that mean? Well, hopefully this post (which is a first in a very, very long time) will clear it up for you!

As many of you know 2011 was NOT a good year for me. I've had my ongoing health issues, I lost my job of 10+ years (unexpectedly) and I've had quite a few other personal battles that have really been trying on me. Trials really do test our faith not only in God, but in your self. At times, I'll admit that I wondered could it get worse (of course), or I wondered how much more can I take, etc. I finally came to the realization that God is not going to put me through anything more than I can bear (He obviously must think I can bear more as I'm not dead yet, ha!)

But it's also during these times where you not only put your complete trust & faith in God, but He also helps bring people into our lives or stories or something that can be an encouragement to us. For my health issues, I always looked at my Grandma Baker and Coach Kay Yow. Both of these ladies battled cancer very courageously and bravely. I look at them and know they endured so much pain, yet they NEVER complained. I realize that while I have some health issues, they are menial compared to them, and if they can fight and battle one of the biggest battles in life, I can build off their strength and withstand my own battles.

These more recent personal battles...it's hard to say who I looked to for strength (aside from God) -- who He helped put in my life to lead me through. And then out of the blue, I found Kim Mulkey's book.

As you all know, I am a HUGE fan of women's college basketball. I'll watch any team and go to any game -- I just LOVE the sport that much. I had known who Kim Mulkey was for many years (saw her coach in Raleigh at an NCAA Super Regional back in 2009) but I'll admit I didn't follow her as closely as I did others. Suddenly, towards the end of 2011, Baylor University popped back up on my radar, and I started following them very, very closely. At some point along the way, I discovered Kim Mulkey had written a book, so I ordered it. Honestly, I'll admit, upon first getting it, I figured it'd be just like any other coach's book -- tips on how to improve in the game of basketball, but I was delightfully surprised.

Kim's book is very open, very honest, very real and most importantly, just Kim. While she does talk about basketball (which she should), she opens up about her personal life and the struggles she's had physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. Her book truly spoke to me and made me realize that I'm not alone in my battles. Granted my battles are totally different from Kim's, but you can pull the similarities and grow off of her strength. She dug deep and fought hard to keep going in life and not let anything hold her back. The title of her book is awesome, it's "Won't Back Down", and that is so perfect for her, for me, for anyone. No matter who or what may be hindering us in our life, we shouldn't let anything try to hold us back or keep us from acheiving our goals.

When I initially read Kim's book, I was so encouraged. I was amazed at all she went thru, I wanted to cry for her, I wanted to rejoice with her. Her book truly touched me in so many ways. It made me realize that if Kim Mulkey can keep going with millions of people watching her and she can endure all of what life has thrown her way, I can muster up the courage and keep pressing forward, as well.

I sent Kim an e-mail in late December to just say "thanks" for sharing her heart. I wanted her to know that while to many she is a basketball role model, she is also a role model and encouragement toward others in life's personal matters. I wanted her to know that her book impacted me and that writing her book was well worth it. I didn't anticipate a reply, but guess what, Kim Mulkey wrote me back! She thanked me for my kindness, wished me well in 2012, and told me that while we face a lot of things in life, we just have to find a way to deal with it...and lastly, she invited me to come say hello to her when I was in Texas.

Well, such as luck would have it, I went to Texas to visit my cousin. We went to the Baylor vs. Texas game (Baylor won, by the way!) and after the game, I met Kim Mulkey. She remembered who I was and graciously autographed my book and a hat and took a picture. But what really made the day, was just seeing how down to earth she is. Kim is exactly who she is, as she's said "what you see is what you get". That's exactly her. A little girl from North Carolina gets to stand on the court at the University of Texas talking to an Olympic Gold Medalist, NCAA Champion as a player, assistant coach and head coach, about the differences between Texas, North Carolina and Louisiana ... and yet, she is just Kim Mulkey. She's not some high-minded, busy-body person. She takes time to speak and meet and greet. That truly meant a lot to me. Thanks, Kim, you're the best!!

So why do I say "gotta get my Mulkey on"? Well, on those days or at those moments, when I feel the doom and gloom coming, the tears wanting to fall and wondering can I make it thru this day or next trial, I think back to Kim's book and realize, "if Kim can do it, so can I...buck it up, get your Mulkey on and get thru it."

Thanks, Kim Mulkey, for sharing your heart and being who you are -- being real. And I hope you don't mind that I'm using your name for my personal slogan :)

I encourage everyone to read "Won't Back Down" by Kim Mulkey. I MAY let you borrow mine, but since it's now personalized and autographed, we'll see. But read it and let it be an inspiration to you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you have been encouraged by reading Kim Mulkey's book. Keep pressing on knowing that the Lord is there holding you through it all. He will never leave you and He does see the whole picture of our lives. Glad you got to get away to Texas to see your cousin and meet Kim! :)

    ReplyDelete