Monday, February 14, 2011

Red Day


So as many of you know, I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. I don't know why but I've just never been a huge fan of it. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons behind it, but I personally think too much money is spent and emphasis is placed on all the wrong things.

Am I bashing the day? No.
Is there anything wrong with buying flowers, candy, gifts? No.

I guess I just feel like Valentine's Day is a day where you should be able to express to your family and friends how much you love them and care about them. You can do that with a card, an e-mail, a phone call or any simple method. If you're method of saying "I love you, I care about you, thanks for being my friend" is sending gifts, well that's fine. Go for it! (I won't lie and say that I might not, on occasion, buy something for someone at Valentine's.)

I just get burned up by people who just want to do all the lovey-dovey stuff. And maybe that comes from being single and I just haven't learned to appreciate that yet. If you want to do that, awesome, but please do it privately. If you want to share a nice dinner out with your mate, go right ahead. But please refrain from all the juicy romance at the dinner table; just save dessert for when you get home or somewhere private, thank you!

So when I look at Valentine's, sure I'll wear my heart earrings and necklace proudly (thanks to my Mom & Dad for giving them to me), but I just treat it as any other day. You should be able to tell your family & friends any day of the year how much they mean to you; it shouldn't take one day only to make you realize that. (If it does, you obviously have a problem). So on this Valentine's Day 2011, call, text, e-mail or whatever to your family & friends, let them know you're thinking of them and hoping they're having a great day. Later on in the year, surprise them and peridocially send them a card (sometimes snail mail means a lot more than a text!), write them a nice little note, even if it's as short as "Hi, You're awesome & I'm thinking about you. LOVE!!!, Meredith" ~ you can express your love very simply, sometimes all it takes is in a signature!

So enjoy the day -- whatever you may do. But if you're out in a restaurant and I see you "getting it on", I'm going to start making gagging noises (just kidding!) Happy Valentine's Day to all my family & friends -- guess what, I LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. We love you, too, Meredith. :) I agree that today is just ONE of the EVERY days we should tell others we love them. :)

    ReplyDelete