Monday, June 16, 2014

S is for ...

Songs from St. Somewhere

“Somethin’ bout your dog
Sittin’ by your side
If you had a bad day
She ain’t gonna run and hide
Just a-waggin’ that tail
Grinnin’ that grin
Somethin’ bout my dog
Makes her my best friend…”


There are days when we just need to be reminded that something so simple, even as simple as our pet dog or cat can bring a feeling of peace and tranquility in to our lives, especially on rough days or days when we are feeling down in the dumps. Each time I hear this song, “Something ‘Bout a Boat” I am reminded of a life of ease and relaxation, which so many of us lack these days. That song is on Jimmy Buffett’s most recent CD “Songs from St. Somewhere” which was also the title of his 2013-2014 tour. We were able to see Jimmy Buffett in concert in April in Raleigh during the final leg of the “Songs from St. Somewhere” Tour. Like him or not, he is an excellent musician and his songs have that soothing island feel to them. They make you want to be lying on the beach listening to the ocean waves lap up against the shoreline; or else be sailing away on a boat out in the middle of the Caribbean.

I’ve grown up listening to Jimmy Buffett’s music, and his music is one reason why I picked the Spanish name Margarita to be my name during my two years of Spanish class in school (alas, there is not a Spanish equivalent name for Meredith). Margaritaville has always been one of my favorite songs and places to eat. (I cannot wait for the new Margaritaville to open on The Island in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.) However, if you’re like most Buffett fans, it is so very hard to pick one favorite song of his because he has so many amazing songs. I have a whole playlist on my computer that is nothing but some of my all-time favorite songs of his, but I am still constantly adding new ones that I hear.

I was excited to be able to see him in concert. I had always wanted to, but the opportunity never arose where I was able to go. Buffett concerts are always lively -- the festivities in the parking lot where everyone decorates their cars and you name it gives the tailgating experience an island atmospheric theme which provides a colorful kick-start to your evening of fun. Once you are in the gates and in your seats, the beach balls start flying. Then the music cranks up and everyone has a grand ‘ole time. ( Just be aware, that while some of us (like me) don’t drink or smoke, you may go home smelling like you did because some people just get a wee-bit overwhelmed and intoxicated – I will never understand how they get up and go to work the next day!) He brings a down home feel to all his concerts. I was super excited at all his North Carolina references, especially to the little, big town of Buies Creek, home to Campbell University, my alma mater! Forget NC State, UNC, and Duke, even ‘ole Jimmy Buffett knows the true fun happens in the Creek!!

But overall, the Jimmy Buffett concert experience is one everyone should have once in their lives. He does an excellent and fun-filled show. The music makes you want to sing-a-long or dance around. And of course you want to people watch and just share some laughs at what all the crazies around you are doing. So slip on your FINS, make some CHANGES IN LATTITUDE AND CHANGES IN ATTITUDE, and set sail for MARGARITAVILLE – but, don’t forget to eat at CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE before you set sail!

“Ain’t it crazy how somethin’
Seems like nothin’ at all
Take a big old room
Make it seem so small
Seein’ windows where there are walls
Makes a whole lot of something
Out of nothin’ at all”


No comments:

Post a Comment