Friday, July 12, 2013

Let Me Define It For You...


It has come to my attention lately that many people have no idea what they are referring to when they are constantly using the phrase "Good 'Ole Boys" to define a categorization of people. Many of their concepts are misconstrued and just flat-out, blatantly inaccurate. So, let me take a few short minutes to explain to you what I consider to be the true definition of a “Good ‘Ole Boy” – your definition may differ from mine completely, but that is your opinion and this is mine – so take it with a grain of salt.

Growing up in the South, you quite often hear the phrase “He’s just a good ‘ole boy” used to describe an individual, but how do you appropriately define it or how do you know what type of person this applies to? Well, it really all depends upon who you are, where you are from and basically how you view people in general. An individual from Massachusetts is going to define a “Good ‘Ole Boy” differently from a person in North Carolina; just like an individual from North Carolina will probably define it differently than a person from Alabama. In reality, your definition may not be derived based upon where you are located regionally, but it may differ based upon how you were raised (or brought up, if I need to be proper about it!)

In general, when I think of “Good ‘Ole Boys”, two individuals immediately come to my mind – Bo and Luke Duke from The Dukes of Hazzard. These were two fun-loving, country boys, who for the most part, where very clean-cut guys who liked to have a lot of fun. They were country – plain and simple. They were (and are) “Good ‘Ole Boys”.

Most of the time, I do not necessarily classify “city-guys” as being defined as “Good ‘Ole Boys” but that is not to say they cannot be reformed! Typically, my standard view of a “Good ‘Ole Boy” is an individual whose heart is deeply rooted in his family, his home and has a passion for others. “Good ‘Ole Boys” like to have fun but can also be very humble and caring. They go above and beyond to help those in need – whether it is someone who has had a family member who has passed away to fixing a broken vehicle for someone or even just donating their time to help those unfortunate individuals in need. (And, yes, those individuals do still exist in America!) They are all-around good souls who want to do anything they can to help others, but at the same time, they are fiercely loyal and dedicated to those that they love.

On the contrast, there are many out there who when they hear the term “Good ‘Ole Boy” they immediately jump to conclusions and believe there is a society of men who are in some type of social elitist club who are out to harm the little man. Yes, maybe in some instances that does occur and cronyism does exist, but in my mind, that is not how I would classify a true Southern “Good ‘Ole Boy”. Many times you often hear a group of Southern politicians as being referred to in this term or you may hear that you have to be a member of the “Good ‘Ole Boy Club” to succeed in the job force. To me those that classify individuals in that manner are people who view these men who have power, prestige and wealth out of sheer jealousy of those in positions higher than themselves. They want to view these individuals in a derogatory manner and seek to tarnish their names. So, in my opinion, they misclassify them as “Good ‘Ole Boys” because they really cannot think of any other term to utilize.

I believe the true “Good ‘Ole Boy” versus those in the “club” are two different personas of individuals. Many of these Southern politicians or those in higher-profile professions are so high-minded that they would not know how to even get back out of the city and into the country. They have forgotten their true “raisin’s” and could not find their way back out of a city of crooks. They are not willing to help those in need but rather run over them. I do not consider those to be “Good ‘Ole Boys” but rather I refer to those types of people as “snakes in the grass”. The “Good ‘Ole Boys” are proud of their heritage, proud of their family and proud of their jobs – no matter what type it is. They are willing to help you and do what they can; they are not willing to belittle you and make you feel like an invisible person. At the same time, they like to have good fun and are just all-around good guys.

Like it or not, that is how I see it. Obviously, the term “Good ‘Ole Boys” can be both viewed in positive and negative lights. I try to see the positive in every situation. I hope that if you are one of those who likes to belittle and mislabel individuals as “Good ‘Ole Boys” who are out to harm you or those your love, I hope you will sit back for a minute and deeply consider whether you are choosing your wordage appropriately. Don’t judge others too quickly (or harshly for that matter) and don’t label everyone in one lump sum when there are differing types of people with the same personification. I am a Southern girl, born and bred, and I am very proud of it. Even though my accent might differ a little from yours and I might use sayings that are foreign to you, that’s tough turkey. It is who I am and how it will be – you can’t change Southern grit! I will keep being who I am and true to myself and will continue to be a “Good Girl” – however you want to define that!

No comments:

Post a Comment